Networker

Re: [Networker] Replacing a client

2004-01-29 17:38:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Replacing a client
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:37:59 -0600
Thanks for the info Tim,

>>The big negative to this is that I won't have easy access to the original
>>ZEUS index to restore files backed up before the change. I'm not sure that
>>it would work to just shut down NetWorker, switch the original and new
>>directories, and restart, then reverse that to put them back.

>It probably would work, but it would be more effort than I would like.

If I'm lucky I won't have to restore anything from the old system.  I only
get restore requests for things older than a day or 2 maybe once a month.

>In your situation, I wouldn't do anything other than

>- (optional) clone any backups of Zeus from before the switcheroo.  This
>would definitely include the last full, and might include any subsequent
>backups since then.

All of our backups are automatically cloned.  Unfortunately I won't have
time to do a full backup of the old system (it takes 12 hours with cloning)
so I'll have to make due with the last full (last Sunday) and the
incrementals since then.

>- force a full backup of the new Zeus once the Ares->Zeus switcheroo is
done.

Of course.

>Tim

Thanks, Dave

use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
Thank you for your cooperation