Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.1 upgrade

2004-01-27 12:00:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.1 upgrade
From: "Voetelink D." <voetelink AT ECN DOT NL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:00:05 +0100
Les Yaw wrote:
Good morning, Dennis,

Good afternoon, almost good evening ... ;-)

What OS are you running on your server?

Tru64 UNIX 5.1b (server)

What type of tape drives are you running?

AIT (server) and AIT-3 (storage node)

Just curious, why do you disable the pools?  We're fairly successful using
the client's browse times, removing the tapes when off-site storage is
needed (Monthly tapes stored for a year), then recycling the tapes when
they're expired.

We have 6 sets of tapes, and browse & retention policy are both 3 weeks.
We have two sets of tapes online, every friday the oldest set is stored
offline, and a new set is put online (which has become recyclable by then...)

We put the previous set disabled, so that it cannot be written. Previously it
was possible to restore from it though....

I've been thinking about changing the sets into one big pool, but it was hoping
to keep using the current strategy if possible....

greetings,

Dennis Voetelink

D. Voetelink
UNIX Systems Administrator

Energy research Centre of the Netherlands
Facilities Department - Automation Services

Petten, the Netherlands

e-mail : voetelink AT ecn DOT nl
phone  : (+31) 224 564738