Networker

Re: [Networker] Confusion over incremental and levels - 3 IMPORTANT questions!

2004-01-23 11:43:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Confusion over incremental and levels - 3 IMPORTANT questions!
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:43:15 -0800
> numbered level, but do they likewise reset things? The user asked what
> would happen in the following scenario:
>
> Mon=full, Tue=incr, Wed=incr, Thu=incr, Fri=level5, Sat=incr.
>
> 1. Does the Sat incr capture all changed files since Fri, or does it
> instead capture all changed files since Thu?

Incr captures all changes since the last backup of any kind.  So it's
since the Friday 5.

> I was kinda stumped on this question, but I thought it would capture all
> changes since Fri.

Right.

> 2. We typically run descending levels throughout the month with
> incrmentals and then a full at the end of the month. I was operating
> under the assumption that if someone needed to rebuild something, at
> worst case, they would need the last full tape(s), the most recent level
> backup tape(s), and then all incremental tape(s) after that. In other
> words, if you were performing a saveset recover (so you're doing this
> manually) of an entire file system as it most recently existed, then you
> would select the most recent full instance, the most recent level
> instance and all incrmentals after that, yes?

I would suppose.

> 3. Also, what would happen in the following scenario:
>
> Mon=full, Tue=incr, Wed=incr, Thu=level5, Fri=incr, Sat=incr, Sun=level5
>
> Will Sunday's level 5 capture all changes since Thursday's level 5 or
> will it, too, go all the way back to Monday just like the first level 5
> did?

Level numbers capture since the previous higher number, just like
'dump'.  Sunday's 5 is everything since Monday.  That's the difference
between:

full 9 9 9 9 ...
and
full incr incr incr incr ...

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company