Networker

[Networker] Problem with restoring using a storage node

2004-01-21 16:50:35
Subject: [Networker] Problem with restoring using a storage node
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:40:51 -0700
Hi,

Networker: 6.1.3
Server: HP-UX 11i
Location: USA

Storage Node: WinNT
Location: Japan
Client: Exchange 5.5

We are trying to recover an Exchange 5.5 server.  The Exchange server is
located in Japan and uses a storage node for its tape drive.  The
storage node machine and Exchange machine are physically the same box.

The Networker server itself resides in the USA.  There is a private
circuit between the USA and Japan that runs between 256K and 512K.

I wasn't involved in the initial attempts to get the data restore (but I
should have been), but from what information I have gathered, my
co-workers ran the Networker User program on the Exchange server itself,
clicked on the "Restore" button, and got an error about no index files
existing.

So they got onto the Networker server, brought up the nwadmin GUI, and
started a save-set recover, which is still in progress 16 hours later.
The total amount of data being recovered is about 3500 Mbyte.

My questions are: If you do a saveset recover using the nwadmin GUI
running on the Networker server, does the data get pulled off of the
storage node tape drive, get sent to the Networker server, and then get
sent to the client?  This is what we are suspecting, because 16 hours
into this, we've read about 2500 Mbyte of the 3500 Mbyte of data, but
none of the data has shown up on the client yet.

Secondly, whats the right way to recover data to a client if the client
uses a storage node, both the client and storage node are physically the
same machine, and they are remotely located in relation to the Networker
server.  I would assume you just fire up the Networker User (Windows)
program, goto Recover, and your off and running.  As I said above, this
is what was initially tried, and it didn't work (gave some sort of no
index found error, sorry, I don't have the exact error because I wasn't
there).

Any help/suggestions/clarifications would be helpful.

Thanks.

--
Craig Ruefenacht
USANA Health Sciences