Networker

Re: [Networker] Calculating optimal paralelism and target session values

2004-01-21 01:58:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Calculating optimal paralelism and target session values
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT AKERKVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:58:48 -0500
George Scott wrote:
>The problem with the DLT7000 is that the compression circuitry is not
>fast enough - it can only process about 13 MB/s of raw data.  When
>compressing very compressible data they will get data underruns.

We have never discovered that this was a problem with DLT7000 because we
have always used client side compression. Apart from lessons learned from
using single DLT4000, we have always sought to reduce the load on the
server. Cutting the amount of data processed by half still seems to be a
good idea.

If my memory serves me right, the compression reduced the amount of text
data to less than 25% of the original size. 25% of 13MB/s = 3.25MB/s. This
is less than wonderful for a DLT7000.

>(BTW, this is all MHO from observation and guess work in the absence of
>any useful information from the manufacturer)

You are not alone doing this.

greetings,