Networker

Re: [Networker] RE : Calculating optimal paralelism and target session values

2004-01-20 17:01:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] RE : Calculating optimal paralelism and target session values
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:01:00 -0800
> >What type of network connectivity does your backup server have to the
> clients?
>
> I checked out the specs for my drives and they can do 1.5/3 mbps...
> Currently my network is running 10mb/s half-duplex (I know it's lame, but
> that'll change soon :D).
>
> So how do I ensure that I'm using my tapes at full speed ?

Well, 1MB/s ~ 10Mb/s, so even one tape drive should take everything your
link can deliver.  Unless you're backing up local data, you may not want
to use more than one drive at a time.

If you use parallelism and split your jobs, you won't fill a tape
drive.  This is definitely one of the places where you might try
client-side compression to get the most stuff over that tiny link.  Even
there you should be testing it.  If the client is too CPU starved, it
can slow the backups badly.

When you've got more bandwith, you can stream several clients at those
drives to keep them spinning.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company