Networker

Re: [Networker] Calculating optimal paralelism and target session values

2004-01-20 06:37:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Calculating optimal paralelism and target session values
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:26:35 +0000
Tarjei T. Jensen wrote:

Make sure that you use client side compression and not hardware
compression. Otherwise you are likely to starve the DLT4000. Its
compression is so effective, that it can run out of data to write to tape.

Personally I never use client side compression except when backing up
over a very slow link (i.e. slower than token ring). Using client side
compression and then writing to a compressed device can make the data on
tape larger than using just one type of compression. I'm not saying
you're wrong to use client side compression, just that you should only
use it in certain conditions, and then you should test to see that you
are getting a benefit in terms of throughput and/or capacity. Of course
this is difficult to measure since capacity and throughput will report
differently when using or not using software compression.