Networker

[Networker] SDLT320 unreadable tapes

2004-01-19 01:41:12
Subject: [Networker] SDLT320 unreadable tapes
From: John Herlihy <johnh AT XSIDATA.COM DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:37:10 +1100
Hi,

sorry for the length of this email, but figured I'd chuck all the info
in there now - I am seeing an issue where it looks like the Networker
headers on the tape are incomplete.

This is the environment:
Tru64 v5.1A
Networker Power Edition v6.1.3
SDLT320 drives

When trying to use "scanner -i <device>" to scan a tape back in it:
1 - prompts for you to enter in the name of the volume.
2 - complains that there is no pool named `'
3 - fails in a short amount of time (ie about 5-10 secs)

Here is the scanner output:
osun5680[/]# scanner -s nsr01 -vim /dev/rmt/0cbn
scanner: using 'rd=server1:/dev/rmt/0cbn' as the device name
scanner: Opened /dev/rmt/0cbn for read
scanner: Rewinding...
scanner: Rewinding done
scanner: Reading the label...
scanner: Reading the label done
scanner: SYSTEM error: Tape label read: Bad file number
scanner: SYSTEM error: Tape label read: Bad file number
scanner: scanning for valid records...
scanner: read: 131072 bytes
scanner: read: 131072 bytes
scanner: Found valid record:
scanner: volume id 2434907393
scanner: file number 110
scanner: record number 5930
scanner: Enter the volume's name: SU0026
scanner: volume name `SU0026'
scanner: scanning sdlt320 tape SU0026 on rd=server1:/dev/rmt/0cbn
scanner: volume id 2434907393 record size 131072
created 1/01/70 10:00:00 expires 1/01/70 10:00:00
scanner: adding sdlt320 tape SU0026 to pool
scanner: RAP error: There is no pool named `'.
scanner: create pool manually after scanner; continuing...
scanner: Rewinding...
scanner: Rewinding done
scanner: setting position from fn 0, rn 0 to fn 2, rn 0
scanner: Opened /dev/rmt/0cbn for read
scanner: unexpected file number, wanted 2 got 112
scanner: adjusting file number from 2 to 112
scanner: scanning file 112, record 0
scanner: unexpected volume id, wanted 2434907393 got 2434907393
scanner: Opened /dev/rmt/0cbn for read
scanner: done with sdlt320 tape SU0026
scanner: Rewinding...
scanner: Rewinding done

We were able to obtain the header from the tape via the command:
dd if=/dev/rmt/0cbn of=/tmp/tapeheader bs=128k count=1

..and then view it with the command:
strings /tmp/tapeheader

Here is the output from 2 problem tapes:
For volume SU0026:
VOL1SU0026NETWORKER                                           3
setting position from fn %lu, rn %lu to fn %lu,

For volume SU0116:
VOL1SU0116NETWORKER                                           3
setting position from fn %lu, rn %lu to fn %lu,

This is what the header of a good tape looks like:
VOL1SU0295NETWORKER                                           3
setting position from fn %lu, rn %lu to fn %lu,
C%D2
SU0295
volume pool
SCRATCH

ALSO - I'm also seeing that an abnormal amount of data is being written
to these tapes via the "mminfo -m" output. I don't know about SU0026 as
it's already been deleted from the media db, but SU0116 has 1202GB on
it!! I've looked through the mminfo output and found other tapes which
have between 500GB-1848GB!!!

I've checked four of these tapes which contained 1848GB, 921GB, 671GB &
1700GB respectively, and only the 671GB tape was able to be read.

I used "tcopy" to get a listing of the tapes structures, and the one
that worked had 2 x 32KB header files before changing to 128KB data
blocks while the other 3 only had 128KB blocks.

I'm investigating driver versions at the moment, but can anyone think of
what could be causing this? There doesn't appear to be any common
trigger (Windows & Unix systems are affected across multiple drives...
firmware has been upgraded, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
John

John Herlihy - System Engineer
e-DataServices
A Division of XSI Data Solutions Pty Ltd

Direct:  (02) 9496-1153
Fax:     (02) 9417-4932
Email:  johnh AT e-dataservices.com DOT au
www:    http://www.xsidata.com.au <http://www.xsidata.com.au/>

Disclaimer:

Please note that this correspondence is for the named person's use only,
and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.

If you received this correspondence in error, please immediately delete
it from your system and notify the sender. Please ensure that you do not
disclose, copy or rely on any part of this correspondence if you are not
the intended recipient. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you
for your assistance.

Please note that nothing in this correspondence shall be construed or
otherwise relied upon by the recipient as an offer, acceptance of an
offer, representation, agreement or resolution of any kind.