Networker

Re: [Networker] Old Equipment

2004-01-16 15:41:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Old Equipment
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:41:44 -0800
> Would the tapes even be useable after exposure to enough of a field to
> render the data on the tapes unrecoverable?

My understanding is that most modern drives would have no problems with
degaussed tapes.

Older stuff used to require information on the tape for either tracking
or location information, so degaussing would render them inoperable.
(QIC cartridges?)

Heating above the curie point is also a wonderful degausser, but it's
probably not useful on the tape.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company