Networker

Re: [Networker] Limitation on bar code label length and special chars?

2004-01-16 13:18:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Limitation on bar code label length and special chars?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:18:05 -0500
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, George Sinclair wrote:

>Questions:
>
>1. Does anyone know if ATL P1000 libraries or STK L80 libraries with bar
>code readers would be able to read bar codes with these characters or
>this length?
>
>2. If so, does anyone know any companies that make bar codes of this
>length. I think the company we work with now has a 6 char max, but
>wanted to check on question 1 before challenging them on this.
>
>Yeah, we could get our own software, but we would need labels pre-cut to
>the exact size and thickness for those SDLT slide style and LTO stick
>style. Kind of a pain so seemed easier to just buy them.

I don't use an ATL library, or STK, but on the two libraries I do use,
the documentation contains very detailed information about how bar coded
labels should be printed. I suggest you check the manuals for your tape
libraries to see if that kind of information is available there.

As for purchasing pre-printed tape labels, check with the company who
sold you your tape cartridges and/or the tape libraries.