Networker

Re: [Networker] I just don't seem to get it... Are there other do c resources?

2004-01-15 11:23:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] I just don't seem to get it... Are there other do c resources?
From: "Lemons, Terry" <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:22:52 -0500
Hi Miles

Welcome to our world!  I'm glad you've found this list, as there is an
incredible amount of knowledge in the heads of the people who subscribe.

In addition to what other have already said, I wanted to say a few words
about Oracle.  If you already know this, I apologize.

If you backup up disks that contain a database from Oracle (or anyone else,
for that matter) while the database is active, what you are saving is almost
certainly junk or nearly-junk.  The only good ways to backup databases are:

O 'cold' (the database is shutdown, making it safe to backup up the database
files)
O 'hot' (the database is running, but special programs are used that talk to
the database daemons, and do 'the right things' during the backup)

There are add-ins to the basic NetWorker product that do these special
database things.  You'll find documentation on all of these in the same area
as the regular NetWorker manual, if you want to read up on them.

Hope this helps.
tl