Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrjb slow / lock ups

2004-01-14 02:28:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrjb slow / lock ups
From: "T. S. Kimball" <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 02:28:12 -0500
Actually, the Sun release notes (for us SBU users anyway) mention that
SBU/Legato has conflict issues with the 'rm6' RAID software used on
the A1000 and similar units.  inquire will be nearly unresponsive and
nsrjb operations will take long time.

I actually have an E6000 with 12 CPUs and a little L7 (ADIC Scalor I
think), take 1 hour to run inventory operations on 7 slots.  rm6 is
controlling an A1000 and E5300FC (I think) on the same unit.  A
similar L7 attatched to a 2-CPU Ultra-2 is perfectly fine, and my
8-drive L700 is also happy with a 4-CPU E450 (both of those have no
rm6 RAIDs).

--TSK

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Stan Horwitz wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Olaf Zaplinski wrote:
>
>>Hi *,
>>
>>when our NW 6.1.4/Linux/Storagetek L700e is busy somehow, it often
>>ignores tape mount requests and manual tape operations.
>>
>>Right now, it wants 5 tapes for backup'ing to pool Default, 4 tapes
>>for backup'ing to another pool. Out of 5 LTO drives, two are in
>>state 'ejected'. This is the status for several hours now. Why does
>>it not mount two volumes in a 'first come, first served' fashion and
>>starts backup'ing that group?
>
> I had this same problem with NetWorker 6.1.3 under Sun Solaris.
> There really is only one solution. You either have to mount fewer
> tapes or increase the processing power of your server. The nsrd
> process (which controls all the activity of the software) chokes
> when it cannot get enough processing power and the result is the
> behavior you describe.
>
> I resolved the issue by reorganizing my backup schedule and groups
> so that fewer tapes are requested in a given period of time AND
> adding three more CPU boards and additional RAM really helped
> enormously!
>
> If you have a tech support agreement with Legato, you should
> definitely open up a call with them, but odds are, you will get the
> same response from Legato that I just provided.

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify SunGard Trading Systems immediately
at (201) 499-5900 and destroy all copies of this message and any
attachments.