Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrjb slow / lock ups

2004-01-13 22:15:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrjb slow / lock ups
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:15:40 -0500
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Olaf Zaplinski wrote:

>Hi *,
>
>when our NW 6.1.4/Linux/Storagetek L700e is busy somehow, it often ignores
>tape mount requests and manual tape operations.
>
>Right now, it wants 5 tapes for backup'ing to pool Default, 4 tapes for
>backup'ing to another pool. Out of 5 LTO drives, two are in state 'ejected'.
>This is the status for several hours now. Why does it not mount two volumes
>in a 'first come, first served' fashion and starts backup'ing that group?

I had this same problem with NetWorker 6.1.3 under Sun Solaris. There
really is only one solution. You either have to mount fewer tapes or
increase the processing power of your server. The nsrd process (which
controls all the activity of the software) chokes when it cannot get
enough processing power and the result is the behavior you describe.

I resolved the issue by reorganizing my backup schedule and groups
so that fewer tapes are requested in a given period of time AND adding
three more CPU boards and additional RAM really helped enormously!

If you have a tech support agreement with Legato, you should
definitely open up a call with them, but odds are, you will get
the same response from Legato that I just provided.