Networker

[Networker] nsrjb slow / lock ups

2004-01-13 16:02:25
Subject: [Networker] nsrjb slow / lock ups
From: Olaf Zaplinski <o.zaplinski AT BROADNET-MEDIASCAPE DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:02:31 +0100
Hi *,

when our NW 6.1.4/Linux/Storagetek L700e is busy somehow, it often ignores
tape mount requests and manual tape operations.

Right now, it wants 5 tapes for backup'ing to pool Default, 4 tapes for
backup'ing to another pool. Out of 5 LTO drives, two are in state 'ejected'.
This is the status for several hours now. Why does it not mount two volumes
in a 'first come, first served' fashion and starts backup'ing that group?

And when I say 'nsrjb -v -l 000313' for example, nothing happens. Really
nothing. I know that NW needs up to 20 minutes for let's say simply to
deposit one volume, this is okay. We all know that this software is not
perfect, just like any software. ;-)  But it is not okay that I have to do
what I had to do today: NW locked up completely and stopped cloning, saying
it would suggest mounting volume XY. When I manually killed the 'nsrjb -l
XY' process, the lockup disappeared, NW then resumed cloning.

Does NW really need *so* much admin intervention? I thought software like
this should be able to cope with situations like this.

Olaf