Networker

[Networker] What exactly is a level 9?

2004-01-13 10:23:36
Subject: [Networker] What exactly is a level 9?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:23:56 -0500
I have a question on level 9 backups. I thought that a level 9 was akin
to an incremental, but consider the following scenario:

The user runs a full on Monday. On Tue and Wed he runs an incremental.
On Thursday he runs a level 5. Clearly, the 5 will capture all changes
since Monday, so it's kind of like the sum of all the previous
incrementals plus whatever changed between Wed and Thu. Now, let's
suppose on Friday and Saturday he runs another incremental and then a
level 9 on sunday. Which of the following is true:

A. The 9 will capture all the changes since Thursday, i.e. the sum of
the incrementals from Fri, Sat and Sun.

B. Only what's changed since Saturday

All other numbered backup levels make sense to me; A full is tantamount
to a level 0 and each number: 1, 2, 3, ... will back up everything
that's changed since the last lower numbered backup. If you run two
equivalent numbered backups like a 5 and then another 5 (never mind if
any incrementals were run between them) then the second 5 will again
back up everything that's changed since the previous lower number and
NOT just since the previous 5. But I guess I've never really been
completely clear on this issue of level 9s. Why is it that the indexes
get backed up at level 9s and not "incrementals" if the client's
schedule calls for an "incremental"? I think this is the cause of my
confusion. I may have been thinking that a 9 and an incremental were
equivalent. But if so, that would contradict the scenario I played out
above?

Thanks.

George