Networker

Re: [Networker] SCSI problems -- How many drives to a bus?

2004-01-12 11:40:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] SCSI problems -- How many drives to a bus?
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:40:22 -0800
On Jan 12, 2004, at 7:47 AM, George Sinclair wrote:

The -D3 option sounds useful.

Don't get your hopes up too high.   Running any NetWorker binary with
debugging turned on will generate a lot of text.  All of it
non-localized debugging code used by developers and completely
unsupported by Legato.  If you call and ask about a message you see in
the output, not only will the support agent not know what you are
talking about, they will also have no way to find out what it means.

I do not see this option in the man pages, though.

Nope.  While the -D option is available for most NetWorker binaries
(except save.  It uses -v, which is not quite the same) it is an
internal option not meant for general use.  Some programs also use the
environment variable NSR_DEBUG.

How do I tell NetWorker to run nsrmmd with this option when it
starts up?

Running nsrexecd with -D5 should pass it along.  Otherwise, replace the
real nsrmmd with a shell script that adds the -D5 option and starts the
original nsrmmd binary.

Note that you can put any number after -D, but in general 3 is enough.
You may need 5 to get scsi messages; I don't remember.  In any event,
there will be a lot of text to look at.

I took a look at /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/scsi/sg.h and it indicates:

Version: 3.1.24 (20020505)
This version is for 2.4 series kernels.

Not sure that this is the one we're using, though?

Hm.  I'll write a little program and send it to you that will print the
sg version number.  It's probably the only way to really tell.

Byron