Networker

Re: [Networker] SCSI problems -- How many drives to a bus?

2004-01-09 20:03:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] SCSI problems -- How many drives to a bus?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:04:21 -0500
The RH version is 7.3 (Valhalla) from /etc/redhat-release. 'uname -a'
indicates 2.4.20-24.7bigmem #1 SMP date follows and then i686 unknown.
Is there a command I can run to determine the driver version? This whole
driver issue seems to be very fuzzy. I heard about this but never really
understood the whole mess.

o How do we determine what version of the driver we are now running?
o Where do we get this other driver?
o How do we install this other verion you speak of?
o Where is it documented that this will fix this problem?

I should note that we are using Adaptec 3960 cards from Dell so these
are OEM cards. I've just never seen this many problems before with tape
libraries. I just have a hard time believing that the driver is causing
all this mischief when the same driver is also managing the ATL library,
and we have no issues with that hardware. It seems more likely that
something is happening in the Storagetek end of things and the driver is
just bombing because of it, but what do I know. Obviously not that much
if I have to ask how to determine the version of the driver. LOL!
Sorry, I'm just frustrated to no end because it seems like this will
just never be fixed. It's been happening for months and months now ...
as far back as I can remember.

Thanks.

George