Networker

Re: [Networker] Volume clone

2003-12-23 11:03:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Volume clone
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:03:03 -0800

> This is one of our most awaited development/improvement -> to copy/clone
> volumes without the need to order tapes from offsite storage, load and
> mount in the jukebox.

Why would you want to clone data that is offsite?  If it's part of a
procedure, I would assume you cloned it before it went offsite.

What do you want as the end target of a "cloned volume"?

*) An *IDENTICAL* copy of the volume (down to the label)?
*) Copies of the saveset fragments from the source volume, acknowledging
   that any savesets with fragments not on the source volume are
   invalid?
*) Something else

> If I recall it correctly, I inquired to Legato Tech. Support regarding
> this feature when we were still in v5.5. They told us that in v6+ we can
> copy/clone per volume, but I think that is not happening now.
> If the cloning process is still per saveset can somebody in Legato
> please remove the 'Clone Volume' under the 'Media' pull down menu, it
> only gives you false hopes and frustration.

Wouldn't automatic cloning or some simple clone scripts work for you
without waiting for this?

Personally I don't see how the first option can be done at all given
Networker's current setup.

Taking DLT as an example, it is possible that the data on one tape will
not fit on an identical tape in an identical drive.  A saveset clone
where savesets may span volumes can cope with that situation.  A scheme
where the volume is supposed to be identical cannot.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company