Networker

Re: [Networker] jukebox inventory

2003-12-19 17:50:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] jukebox inventory
From: Pat OBrien <Pat.OBrien AT CHOICEPOINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:50:19 -0500
Yes there is.  Preparation is the key..  Having the proper number of tapes in
the library before backups start is your solution.  This behaviour only occurs
on single drive loader/libraries.  With mulitple drive libraries the first
inventoried tape is loaded into a drive after the inventory whether mount
option during inventory is enabled or not AND providing anotehr tape drive is
available the inventory will continue.  Should the proper number of tapes not
fit into your library, then you have a bigger issue and need to spend money.  A
slimey slippery evil work around is to unmount the mounted tape in the single
drive, and mark the drive read only, perform inventory and then write enable
drive.  I know this works in multiple drive library to dedicate a drive
read/inventoriable while performing heavy backups which keep trying to mount
write tape for writing, but must confess it has been awhile since I have had a
single drive loader.