Networker

Re: [Networker] OT: NetWorker server console manager

2003-12-17 14:22:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] OT: NetWorker server console manager
From: Joel Krajden <joelk AT CS.CONCORDIA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:55:21 -0500
We have deployed several Perle CS9000 consoles. They are a delight. Tech help
is excellent - They fixed several bugs we called in within days sending new
firmware. Excellent security. Documentation could be improved. I have the same
setup for backups as you do.

Joel

Stan Horwitz wrote:
This is slightly off topic. We're looking at moving our NetWorker server
and our tape library from our main computer room to an auxiliary computer
room about four blocks away just so we don't have all our backup tapes
kept in the same room as the original copies of the data.

Our LEGATO server is a Sun Enterprise 450 with a Qualstar tape library. We
have that server connected to a serial terminal server now. Rarely do I
ever log in via the terminal server, but I still want to have that option
after this move takes place so I am looking for some inexpensive serial
teminal server to go in our auxiliary computer room. Right now, that room
is empty and not used. Something that can handle console access for six
Unix servers would be nice.

I am considering getting a Cyclades, but I am wondering if anyone on this
list has any other products for me to consider. We just need something
that will let us open up a text-based connection to our server's console
port.

Thanks,

Stan

| Joel Krajden              | Rm: LB-915,  Tel: 514 848-2424 3052         |
|                           | Fax: 514 848-2830                           |
| Senior Systems Analyst    | Email: joelk AT cs.concordia DOT ca

| Dept. of Computer Science | http://www.cs.concordia.ca/~staffcs/joelk   |
| Concordia University      |   Remember it's a circus and the clowns     |
| Montreal, Canada          |   are supposed to make you laugh, not cry.  |