Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Positioning by Record is Disabled on AIT Drives??????

2003-12-17 13:24:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Positioning by Record is Disabled on AIT Drives??????
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:24:06 -0500
Davina Treiber wrote:
Matt Temple wrote:

Chad Smykay wrote:

These were just common utilities that most people are aware of that I
thought I would recommend.  However my co-worker here at work said he
found
out the other day of a quicker way of doing.

By removing the volume from the NetWorker database and then
re-labeling it
does cause it to re-label it with the new block settings.  So all you
would
have to do is write a quick script for volumes you are having
problems with
to have them removed and then re-labels.

Hope this information helps for some out there that have headaches on
re-setting the block size on certain types of tapes.

You may have answered a question that just came up.   I don't recycle
tapes, I relabel them, so their Volume number  (ex linux.0350) keeps
going up.  Do we now agree that thisw is the case: Recycling doesn't
implement new block sizes but relabeling does?  (When you relabel, even
if you don't remove the volume first, I think the new blocksize is
implemented.   This is the point that Dave Gold and I were disagreeing
about.   I had written a number of postings and there were numerous
answers last July, when I went from the default block size to one set
under stinit.def on my Linux server.

I think what you are describing is a bug. Let me guess, when you talk
about relabelling you are doing it from the GUI on a Windows machine?
Also you are not using barcodes. The volume label should not change,
once you have labelled a tape it should stay the same, what sort of
chaos is being caused by the mismatch here between the logical and
physical label on the tape? I am fairly sure that I have seen this in a
fixed bugs list, bot sure which version. What version are you using on
the administration client?

None of the above -- well almost none.   When I have tapes that I want
to reuse, I sometimes relabel with nsrjb and sometimes through the GUI
-- depends on how many.  In either case, I get a "Volume Deleted"
message for the old volume before the new label is applied.   In my
jukebox/barcode setup, I have "Match Barcode Labels" set to "no."  It's
a Linux server, Networker 7.0.  Why should there be any chaos?

                                       Matt

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street,  ML105      http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!