Networker

[Networker] Big endian versus little endian?

2003-12-11 15:54:59
Subject: [Networker] Big endian versus little endian?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:54:53 -0500
Hi,

There's been a lot of talk over this business of moving from one OS to
another; e.g. Solaris to Linux. I've heard some different things about
this, most notably the index problem. Some say it's worked, others have
said it won't and that you basically have to start over with new
indexes. Thought some others suggested just starting completely from
scratch but keep the old server around for any restores from tapes that
were written to when the old server was in use. Maybe that was with
Microsoft. Anyway, was there any final consensus on this issue?

Let's say I want to move the primary server from Solaris to Linux. I'm
not sure which is Big endian or which is little endian. Maybe they're
both the same, but I'm thinking they're not. Several people have said
that this endian difference will create problems when you try to read
the indexes on the new server, although I would assume that since
they're ordinary files (we're running 6.1.1 so I know they are with that
release), physically getting them there should not be a problem. Guess
the bytes are read in a different order, though, or some such thing.
Can't recall my Jonathan Swift details on that, but I do recall the main
problem spoken of was the transferring of the client indexes from one
endian to a different endian. Was this in fact the real only concern
when moving from one platform to another?

If so, then I assume all the other operations on the new server like
accessing the media database, recovering data from old tapes using
saveset recover, writing to old tapes that still have space and running
commands like mminfo, nsrinfo, etc. should all work on the new OS as
they did before against the old information that was copied?

Why does Legato not make an index convertor? Would that be too hard?

Thanks.

George