Networker

Re: [Networker] FEEDBACK to Legato

2003-12-09 18:20:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] FEEDBACK to Legato
From: Olaf Zaplinski <o.zaplinski AT BROADNET-MEDIASCAPE DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:22:32 +0100
Hi!

Hmmm...

Oscar Olsson wrote:
[...]
* Responsiveness and overall quality of Legato support. Obtaining product
patches is a hassle, at best.

In contrast to Microsoft.

There is no notification of needed patches
to current products, which have some rather serious bugs. Some patches are
included in the same release which is silently re-released.

In contrast to Microsoft. ;-)

* There is no way to conveniently obtain product updates and/or patches.
There are also no recommendations to what patches should be applied to
certain releases

In contrast to Microsoft. ;-) ;-)

I am both NW admin and Windows 2000 domain admin right now. Sure I do not
like MS OSes because I know them quite well ;-), but at least the patches
are free to everybody, and this is quite logical. Why pay for patches that
patch faulty software?

Funny is: no one here in Germany seems to ask for free patches while
mentioning Germany's "Produkthaftungsgesetz", which roughly means "liability
law" in English. Roughly said, this law means: if it's damaging something in
some way, then the vendor has to pay for this damage. Imagine savesets that
are not recoverable in a "disaster recovery" scenario...

Just my 2 cents...

Olaf