Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Positioning by Record is Disabled on AIT Drives??????

2003-12-09 15:22:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Positioning by Record is Disabled on AIT Drives??????
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 20:22:20 +0000
Dave Martini 1 wrote:
I have Networker Server 7.1 and a Spectra Logic treefrog
with dual Sony AIT-3 Drives running on a solaris 9 server.

My st.conf entry looks like this

tape-config-list=
           "SONY SDX-700C", "SONY 8mm AIT-3 ", "SONY_AIT3";
            SONY_AIT3=1,0x36,0,0xd679,1,0x00,0;

Legato says that the syntax of my st.conf is correct for the Sony AIT-3.

But whenever I try to restore I get this error.

"Cannot decode block. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by record is
disabled."

Sometimes the recover works and sometimes the recover fails.

I called Legato and they said put these two environment variables in place
so I put them in the .login file on the UNIX solaris 9 legato server
machine and rebooted

setenv NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_AIT_3 192
setenv NSR_DEV_TAPE_FILE_SIZE 10922

The problem is still occuring.

A .login file is not the place, you need to put these commands in the
startup script for NetWorker, and you need to convert them to sh syntax,
i.e. VARIABLE=value; export VARIABLE
The FILE_SIZE variable won't make a scrap of difference to restores, but
may affect the seek time when backing up.

Somehow I don't think this is your problem though. If you always had the
problem then it might be, but if it is intermittent then it means one of
two things:

(1) You have a mixture of block sizes in use
(2) You have some other error which may be media or drive related, or
some other hardware problem.