Networker

Re: [Networker] Netware backup problems

2003-12-07 17:39:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Netware backup problems
From: Ryan Tassotti <LSS5 AT BRISBANE.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 08:38:36 +1000
Hi Mary

We haven't had much success with snapshot.nlm, to be honest.  Someone else on
the list mentioned that it worked fine in testing, but failed in production.
We found the same too.

If you don't like the whole !<vol> thing being created, you can just disable
open file support in the Networker screen on the clients (not sure if this
required a reinstall of the client or not, can't remember).

Something else to check on the one that is failing ... do you have 20% free
space on the volume (before the !<vol> is created)?

Regards,
Ryan.

>>> MkHudson AT SYR DOT EDU 12/06/03 05:42am >>>
We installed the Networker client 4.21 on a Netware 5.1 sp6 server in order to
hopefully be able to migrate from ArcServer to Networker.  In the process of
our testing how well Networker would meet our needs the following happened with
our Netware server.

A virtual device was loaded and a !<vol> was created in order to do a snapshot
of the volume. This took place successfully for three of the volumes on the
server.  Unfortunately the backup failed on the fourth volume with the
following errors:

 * cs.syr.edu:DATA: Completed open file support for volume DATAhas been
inactive for 33 minutes since Fri Dec  5 05:56:16 2003.
 * cs.syr.edu:DATA: is being abandoned by nsrexec.
 * gwpoa401.syr.edu:MAIL: Completed open file support for volume MAILhas been
inactive for 33 minutes since Fri Dec  5 05:17:17 2003.
 * gwpoa401.syr.edu:MAIL: is being abandoned by nsrexec.

While I wasn't happy that the backup didn't work, I'm more concerned that the
virtual device and volume did not unload after the failure.  The other servers,
there were four in total, were successful in this process without issue.  I'm
now wondering how to eliminate the !<vol> on both of these boxes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mary

Mary Hudson
Senior IT Analyst
Syracuse University
250 Machinery Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244
(315) 443-4280

The following message has been received from the Internet.  Please use with
caution the message and any attachments

This message has passed through an insecure network.
All enquiries should be directed to the message author