Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice on a specs for a Sun

2003-12-03 07:34:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice on a specs for a Sun
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 07:35:09 -0500
Hi,

If you're going to stay with your current Master Server / Storage Node
configuration, I agree 100% that a v480 with 2 CPUs @ 900 MHz would be an
excellent choice, with room to grow should your needs change.

If you want to consolidate everything into one Master Server on a v880, you
may find a limitation in the backplane. The v880 has only two 66 MHz PCI
slots, and seven at 33 MHz. While that should be perfectly adequate for
your current configuration, you may find it limits your throughput as you
upgrade to more higher-speed tape drives. Our engineers recommend limiting
a v880 to ten LTO-1 drives or seven LTO-2's. In any event, you'd want to
pay attention to what drives go to which card, so your fastest drives use
the fastest slots.

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:48:32 +0100, DEMILDE Gregory (BMB)
<Gregory.DEMILDE AT PROXIMUS DOT NET> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would recommend to go for a V880 ... and put all 3 libraries on it.
>The V880 should cope with the throughput.
>
>Greg

confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are
intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above.
>Any use of the information contained herein (including, but not limited
to, total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any
form) by other persons than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.
>If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either
by telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any computer".

our website at http://www.proximus.be or refer to any Proximus agent.