Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on save command with directive

2003-12-02 12:15:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on save command with directive
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:15:26 -0500
I have fully tested this and have found this not to be the case. The
.nsr file seems to apply for files at that level but not for
directories. For example, if I have /pathname/.nsr with the following:

skip: dir1
skip: fname1

and I run a save either from the client or server against:
/pathname/dir1

then NetWorker will back this directory up and all of its contents. I
was able to recover it just dandy. Of course, if there's a .nsr file
under dir1, or further down, then it will control what gets backed up
under dir1. However, if I run a save against: /pathname/fname1 then the
aforementioned .nsr file will kick in and the backup will not do
anything. I find this very interesting that it works for a directory but
not for a file. So, it would seem that you either need to back up the
file before you add the skip or use the '-i' option to ignore the .nsr.

If running from the server, I always check the group control window to
ensure that the savesets really were backed up and are not reported as 0
KB. Also, I check that saveset recover shows an instance for the saveset
and not just a blank entry. If running from the client, I also check to
make sure that the command reports that it backed something up and not
something like "0 files".

George