Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on save command with directive

2003-12-02 11:45:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on save command with directive
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:45:32 -0800
> Hi,
>
> If I have a .nsr file under something like /3/exports/data that looks
> like this:
>
> skip: data1.dmp
> skip: data2.dmp
> skip: DATA
>
> and I have no other .nsr files further down, and I then manually launch
> a save on one of the data files, say /3/exports/data/data1.dmp as:
>
> save -s server -b pool_name -l full /3/exports/data/data1.dmp
>
> or I launch a save on the DATA directory as:
>
> save -s server -b pool_name -l full /3/exports/data/DATA
>
> then shouldn't everyhing get backed up even though there's a .nsr file
> there? It's my understanding that when you explicitly specify the path
> of a file or a directory at the level or below where the .nsr file
> resides, as I've done, then the .nsr file would not get used. But it
> will get used if I ran something like:
>
> save -s server -b pool_name -l full /3/exports/data

No, I think it should be used in both cases.  "save" looks for .nsr
files all the way up to the root.

man -s 5 nsr
[snip]
                                                           When a
     directory is first visited, it is searched for a .nsr  file.
     If  one  is  found, it is then read.  Each .nsr file is only
     read once.  When starting a save at a directory below /, any
     .nsr  files  on  the  normalized path of the current working
     directory are read before any files are saved to catalog any
     propagated directives.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company