Networker

Re: [Networker] backup of old index and mm files?

2003-11-28 11:30:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup of old index and mm files?
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:29:55 +0000
Lynsey Wyles wrote:
I have recently moved my \nsr\index and \nsr\mm folders to another
location ...say\old_Legato\index and mm on my networker server, so that we
can start with new retention policies and maintain the old data.
This data is not however being backed up under the 'all' saveset for the
backup server.

any ideas.  I'm guessing this is a directive answer, but not too hot on
these! if someone has the same thing I wonder if you could give me an idea
of the directive to use.

The reason it's not being backed up is that there are local directive
files in these directories, .nsr for Unix or nsr.dir for NT. Normally
you wouldn't want to back these up, but your case is slightly different.
You have a few options:

(1) Go through the directories and remove all the .nsr/nsr.dir files.
Not a good plan if you should ever want to move these directories back
in to place and use them.

(2) Tar/zip the whole structure up into a file and back this up instead.
I assume you only really want a one-off backup.

(3) Backup this directory using the -i option to save, to force it to
ignore local directives. You almost certainly don't want to use this
option for the whole server.