Networker

Re: [Networker] Differing Storage Node value

2003-11-27 04:53:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Differing Storage Node value
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:52:48 +0000
Neild, Jim wrote:
Looking at the backup of my Storage Nodes, of which I have 8, and was
wondering if there is a way I can specify a different Storage Node value
on their client definition that differs from other definitions.

The reason I ask is that under certain circumstances I want the Storage
Node to be the Storage Node for itself (e.g. when I am backing up EMC
BCVs mounted on the SN), but when I do a Local drive and System State
backups, I want it to use a common Storage Node value.

I can't be the first person to ask this.

You're certainly not, and you're not the first to be told it's not
possible. Legato designed it this way, probably for no good reason at
all. I think it shouldn't have been like this, and I recently heard a
Legato Consultant saying the same thing. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard
for them to change in the code, but how to get them to do it? And now
that the original decision has been made, how to transition to doing it
the other way?