Networker

Re: [Networker] Best way to implement directives

2003-11-21 14:19:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Best way to implement directives
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:19:47 -0800

> In this same category of directive implementation, if I use the directive:
>
> << /oracle/ >>
> +skip:  .?* *
>
> Server in question has the following mount points:
> /
> /usr
> /var
> /oracle
> /oracle/u01
> /oracle/u02
> /oracle/data01
> /oracle/data02
> /oracle/data01/backup
> /oracle/redo1
> ...... and so on.  A standard Unix + Oracle environment.
>

> Can I then use, in my save sets listing:
> ALL
> /oracle/u01
> /oracle/data01/backup
> /oracle/data01/arch

You can't do that anyway unless I'm mistaken.  'All' is only allowed by
itself, not in conjunction with other named savesets.  (has this
changed?)

> Which takes precendence?  The directive?  or the inclusive Save Set
> definition?  (please let it be Save Set <g>)  Thanks for the help.
> --Ted

A saveset definition (directly or indirectly through 'All') will direct
the client to begin a 'save' process at that point in the filesystem.

The save process will be handed a directive list from the server, and it
will parse .nsr files locally on the client.

If you have a saveset named in the client resource, you'll get a 'save'
process started.  If the directives say to skip all the data in it, then
it'll do that and there'll be no data in the session.

The 'save' process will look in .. and ../.. and so on up the tree to
root for .nsr files that may affect it.  I assume it does the same thing
(logically) with the server directive in that it will ascend the tree of
instructions.

I don't do much complex directive stuff, so I hope folks will point out
anything if I've made a mistake here.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company