Networker

Re: [Networker] Novell client stability

2003-11-21 05:04:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Novell client stability
From: Andrew Horne <a.horne AT SHEFFIELD.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 04:53:59 -0500
Hi Craig,

>My question is, in general, for those who backup Novell using Networker,
>what kind of stability do you see in the backup process?  Do you have to
>reboot your Novell servers sometimes to massage Networker to work, does
>simply reloading the NLMs work, or di you even have problems in general?

We have been using Networker 6.1.2 on our 23 Netware servers for a year now
and have had no problems which have required the servers to be restarted,
in fact no problems related to software at all at either end.  Our servers
are Netware 6SP3 and Netware 6.5.  Networker unloads fine from the console,
what is required is that the TSAs are loaded and that SMDR is configured
and is functioning before the Networker client is loaded.

>Here is the unsuccessful saveset message we got yesturday.  We've been
>getting these the past couple of weeks.  Nothing has changed on the Novell

Looking at your saveset messages I can see that your Networker server is
unable to make a TSA connection to your Netware server and also that the
SMDR object cannot be found.  What I would try, if you are certain that
there no network changes or comms issues that have caused this and that
when the client is loaded on the Netware server it shows that it has a
connection to your Networker server, is, at the console of one of the
servers try 'Load smdr new' this will recreate the smdr object.

You may have to delete the smdr object for this server first, you will be
asked to login to the server with full disinguished name
i.e. .cn=admin.o=whatever, and then will be asked a few other questions
which you accept the default answer for and also will be asked if you want
to disable nds, slp and something else, don't disable any of these options.

When this has been done make sure Networker, the TSAs and SMDR are unloaded
and then try an SMSSTART at the console, check for errors then load
Networker.

A Novell technical information document here gives a brief outline of this
process -

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10054254.htm

The Novell Support site is pretty good generally on most issues and there
are a large number of very active discussion forums as well.

Hope this helps,

Andy..