Networker

Re: [Networker] legato server: windows vs solaris

2003-11-18 03:35:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] legato server: windows vs solaris
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRONTEXACO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:34:14 -0000
Evan,
        As you are the person who is going to have to look after it, go
with what you feel comfortable with.
        I'm sure that there will be advice on this list that says
something along the lines that Unix is more stable that Wintel,
certainly less of the panic patching for security holes. There may also
be a case on performance grounds, but I think that systems are getting
to a speed where it is external factors that limit performance (network,
external storage speed, tape transfer speeds, etc.) so this is less of a
factor.

        As far as licensing goes, I believe it is less hassle to do a
host transfer rather than a platform transfer.

        The final decision is yours, you have to live with it.

Regards
Bob