Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up NFS?

2003-11-12 17:37:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up NFS?
From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz AT LIFELOGS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:36:10 -0500
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Robert.L.Harris AT rdlg DOT net wrote:

> I've recently been tasked with backing up a bunch of data behind a
> firewall.  The only way to do this I've found is to export the
> filesystems to a machine outside the firewall and lock down this
> machine so only the legato server can access it.
>
> When I try to kick off the backups though it skips the filesystem
> saying it's remote.  I can manually back it up if I specify "save
> -L"...  Is there a directive I can put in /.nsr to tell it to back
> up "/mnt/server/files" ?  Any other thoughts?

(slightly off the original question, which was answered already)

I don't know what version of Networker you are using, but 6.0.x over
NFS (on Solaris) was a big problem in our case - data that should have
been backed up, and was reported backed up, wasn't.  This only
happened with incremental backups.  Full backups worked fine.

This problem may have been fixed with version 6.1 or 7 (neither of
which we have tested yet), but Networker's reluctance to back up NFS
filesystems is puzzling and worries me a bit.  Maybe it's just a way
to ensure customers can't use a single-client license to back up
everything on the network, but maybe there really is a problem with
NFS specifically.  I would appreciate any opinions.

Ted