Networker

[Networker] Summary: Implementing server less backups

2003-11-07 12:53:01
Subject: [Networker] Summary: Implementing server less backups
From: Craig Ruefenacht <Craig.Ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:50:43 -0700
Howdy,

I was given a task a couple of weeks ago to figure out if our SpectraLogic
64000, which has a F-QIP card in it, can be connected to our SAN fabric, and
if so, what would that buy us?  Currently our SpectraLogic 64000 is
connected via SCSI to our backup server (HP K570, HPUX 11i, Networker
6.1.3).  Basically, we purchased the Gator 64000 (before I was here) with
the F-QIPs but have never used them.

Part of the issue is speed, and part of it is just wanting to use what we
bought.  Currently, I have our Networker server doing software compression
because our AIT-3 tape drives in our Gator 64000 are not configured to do
hardware compression.  That slows down things somewhat.  We are getting
maybe about 2.5 Mbyte/second throughput to our tape drives (we have 4 tape
drives). We are not doing staging to disk first, which would help increase
the throughput to tape when the staged data is moved off to disk, et al.

Being that its budget time around here, I was asked to figure out what it
would take to get our Gator 64000 on fiber, and, how we could use that to
our advantage over using just standard SCSI.

I found out yesterday that Veritas Netbackup v4.x/5.x is supposed to be able
to handle true serverless backups from SAN disk to tape, but, we are a
Legato shop (we don't have plans to switch to Veritas).

I'm getting a clearer picture as to what we will be able to do.  Some have
email'ed me personally with useful information.  Mostly they are creating
BCV volumes on their SAN and then mounting the BCVs on a storage node and
then doing the backups from there.  We are doing almost the same thing,
except we mount the BCVs on the backup server itself.  Legato has a module
that will do this for you.  We don't have that module - we wrote our own
scripts to put Oracle in hotbackup mode, split the BCVs, et al.

Thanks to all of those who replied to my questions.  I'm now just waiting to
get confirmation that our SpectraLogic 64000 will play nice with our SAN
fabric hardware, and then we'll probably try to connect our backup server
and Gator 64000 together via SAN fabric rather than traditional SCSI.

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Administrator