Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems backing up long paths

2003-10-31 03:48:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems backing up long paths
From: Hrvoje Crvelin <hcrvelin AT ORCHESTRA DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:48:01 +0100
Hello,

> The error message I receive is the following:
> client.domain.com: G:\ save: path length of 257 too long, directory
not
> saved: <pathname>

> Is this the expected behaviour?
Yes.

> If so, are customers aware of that networker has problems backing up
long pathnames?
They should - there is article on that.  Windows administrators should
be aware of that
too.  And the last thing - this has been covered on the list before ;)

> If not, is there a patch available for this issue?
As far as I remember when I first heard about the problem it has been
related to
recovery (directed one) when too deep tree structure would be created.
If I remember
correctly discussion here, with Explorer you will fail to create +256
char. path, but
from DOS it will work.

I do also remember that that with v7 people were not able to reproduce
this so you may
wish to upgrade your client software and give it a try.

Cheers,
Hrvoje