Networker

Re: [Networker] modifying default pools

2003-10-20 17:40:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] modifying default pools
From: Matt Hemingway <matt.hemingway AT PCNALERT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:38:45 -0700
I'm all about using my own pools.  We have an Offsite an Onsite and a
Incremental pool.  My only problem with it, is you can't have 2 Full pools
enabled at the same time (which our Offsite and Onsite pool's are).

This caused us to write a script to disable one pool and enable the other
before their respective nights backups started so we don't have to do it
manually (let me know if you want it).

Anyway, having different pools, makes it easier to organize tapes.  The only
downfall, is the amount of tapes you can have for each pool in the library
itself can be a problem, if you're backing up more data then you have tapes
assigned to each pool.

But that's when I bust out the old \rm -rf /home/* and "clean up" what gets
backed up and what doesn't.  It's funner then a .nsr file.

just kiddin.....

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:14:58 -0400
Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Martin J. Dellwo wrote:
>
> >I use the 'Default' and 'Default Clone' pools for most backups.  I had
> >the bright idea that I would move towards allowing volumes to be
> >recycled from or to other pools as needed, which would alleviate the
> >occasional problems with running out of 'Default' pool tapes on a
> >weekend when I've got several empty tapes in the 'Default Clone' pool
> >just sitting there.  For now, I just check on weekends and occasionally
> >have to manual re-label 'Default Clone' tapes to be 'Default' tapes to
> >get through the weekend.  But, I found that I'm not allowed to modify
> >the 'Default' and 'Default Clone' pool settings.  Any ideas? or am I
> >just forced to create addition pools (something I'd like to avoid).
>
> Create another pool? What's the big deal about that?
>
> --

Matt Hemingway
PCNAlert
www.pcnalert.com