Networker

Re: [Networker] jukebox reset confuses Legato

2003-10-16 04:39:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] jukebox reset confuses Legato
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:28:59 +0100
Tammie Robertson wrote:
Sometimes recycling the power works for but others times I have to delete
the devices and run jbconfig again.

This seems a bit of a sledgehammer approach to fixing a simple problem.

The problem is that NetWorker maintains some attributes in nsrjb.res
that contain a list of the volumes in the drives. Occasionally it gets
out of step with reality and this needs to be corrected. Now of course
deleting and re-adding the jukebox will sort this out, because it will
simply clear down all the values, and also all the values of the volumes
in the slots, forcing you to inventory the jukebox.

A better way is to adjust the correct fields. There are three fields,
called:
loaded volumes
loaded slots
loaded bar codes

These can be tweaked using nsradmin, I will endeavour to show an
example, manually entered, for a 3 drive jukebox. The print command
queries the drive contents, and the second command updates the values to
show that the first drive no longer contains a volume

mybox> nsradmin
> show loaded volumes; loaded slots; loaded bar codes
> print type: NSR jukebox; name: myjb
##### next 3 lines are example output
       loaded bar codes: MD0079, MD0091, MD0100;
       loaded slots: 25, 20, 52;
       loaded volumes: MD0079, MD0091, MD0100;
##### from the output you can update it with modified values
> update loaded bar codes: , MD0091, MD0100;
loaded slots: , 20, 52;
loaded volumes: , MD0091, MD0100
> quit

This is not a transcript of an actual session, so the formatting etc. is
slightly inaccurate. I don't have a jukebox connected to my laptop here
on the train!

This can be scripted, and I have a menu based script that does this, but
it's not ready for general release yet. If you want to script it easily
and simply, consider the approach of just setting all the drives to
empty - NetWorker can cope with this, and it's certainly better than
deleting and re-adding the jukebox. For a 3 drive jukebox again you
could do something like:

echo "
print type: NSR jukebox; name: myjb
update loaded bar codes: , , ; loaded slots: , , ; loaded volumes: , ,
" nsradmin -i -

This is just about all you need, and it is easily modified for a
different jukebox name and different amounts of drives.