Networker

[Networker] Netware Client, Storage Nodes & Slow Backups

2003-10-16 03:22:13
Subject: [Networker] Netware Client, Storage Nodes & Slow Backups
From: John Gowing <johng AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:31:57 +0200
Good Day.

I have been following with interest the discussions re Netware client
performance, while setting up a system myself, which has not been without
it's own problems.
I think I have reached a point where I know what is happening.

Our setup is as follows

We have a dedicated Backup Lan, Server & Most clients on 100Meg switched,
Storage Node on GigE Backbone port of the Backup Lan Switch

Networker Server SOlaris NW6.1.3 100Meg switched Lan
Primary storage device (overland Neo2000 dual SDLT) on a Win2Ksp3 Storage
Node, GigE Lan

Several Solaris, Linux, & Windows clients.
These all backup happily to the SN throughputs of ~8MB/s limited by Lan

We now add the Netware (v6.0sp3)Client, with a GigE connection to the Backup
Lan.
We had the usual fun getting it to go at all, I followed all the tips from
the archives :- order of Protocols in rpcnet.cfg, Getting the Login names
correct, Order of binding cards etc.
We are now at the situation where a manual backup from the Netware box runs
at a respectable 4 to 5 MB/Sec sending data to the storage node.

However when I start a group with the Netware client and the identical
saveset, the best I get is 45Kb/sec.

I have established that the NWorker server communicates to the Netware
client via RSH, and have been advised that in this storage node config, the
backup data will be transported via RSH from the clieint to the NWorker
server, and then to he Storage Node, and that RSH is a relatively
inefficient protocol, not designed for heavy file transfer like backups,
hence the low performance.

Can anyone confirm that this conclusion is correct?
If so the implication is that Netware clients are NOT going to work with
Storage Nodes at any acceptable trasfer rate, yes?

Apparently the cause is that Netware have not yet fully implemented an RPC
component into their IP Stack.
Does anyone know if this is likely to change in the near future?

Thanks for the help and tips so far

John Gowing