Networker

Re: [Networker] Recommend Backup Level?

2003-10-13 12:56:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recommend Backup Level?
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <maarten.boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:38:06 +0200
Hi Steve,

I have implemented the following:

Our basic schedule is 1 month. Each machine (or saveset if the mechine is very
big) has a fixed day of the month (between day 1 and day 28) on wich it makes
a full backup. the days exactly +7 +14 and +21 have a level 5 and all the
rest have a incremental.

Let me give an example,

machine 'server' has a full on day 5
a level 5 on days 12, 19, ad 26 and incr on all the rest.

My concern is not to have to many restore tapes so this scheme will give me a
maximum restore of 1 full , 1 level 5 and 6 incremental backups.

For this purpose I have created 28 chedules called FULL_xx where xx is the day
number between 01 and 28 and a script to show me which day has the fewest
number of savesets/clients.

But this is just how I did it based on my tradeoffs, not to have to many
inrementals in case I do a restore.

If your schedule is a week it would more depend on how much your data changes
and how much data is on your machine(s) to select where to go, you could
experiment with just a level 5 on wednesday, hust to see if you would have to
change more tapes or less.

It all is in the amounts

hope it gives you some ideas,

Maarten