Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO Tapes being marked full prematurely (SDLT320 FAILURES)

2003-10-08 11:19:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO Tapes being marked full prematurely (SDLT320 FAILURES)
From: "Reid, Jana" <JReid AT LEXGEN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:18:05 -0500
Hi Philip-

We have an Adic Scalar 1000 with SDLT320 drives.  We have had six drives
replaced in the span of approx 2 1/2 months.
Roughly one every two weeks.  I have been kicking myself wondering if I
steered our department toward the wrong decision (LTO2 vs. SLDT320).  I am
carefully documenting all problems in hopes of determining actual cause of
these "drive failures".

At times, looks as though its actually the barcode reader creating some of
the problems/confusion for the library.  Other times, the tapes appear to be
the cause - only at first glance.  Still other times, the drives themselves
with I/O errors.

In any case, I will try to post my findings to the group if and when I ever
get a handle on this.  It is consuming way too much of my time at the
moment.  :~|

Never thought I would miss our old tape library.

-Jana
Houston, TX