Networker

Re: [Networker] DLT driver on Windows 2000

2003-10-03 06:26:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] DLT driver on Windows 2000
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 06:25:15 -0400
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:19:58 +0100, Milos Tremcinsky <mtremcinsky AT ICCC DOT CZ>
wrote:

>When we attemp to load tapes for labeling, mounting or whatever, many times
>it marks the drive dirty and the operation
>does not continue.
>It states: " The device has indicated that cleaning is required before
>further operations are attemped.
>After that NetWorker change Cleaning required status for the drive to Yes
>and drive is cleaned.
>

>Our enviroment is:
>OS - Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
>NetWorker 6.2.
>ATL P1000 with DLT 7000 drives FW version 101
>Removable storage service is disabled.
>
>We found on Microsoft site, that the Service Pack 4 resolve the problem
>with "soft" errors when the tape cleaning ligt is on.
>This is written on Microsoft site:
>STATUS
>                  Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the
>                  Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of
>this
>                  article. This problem was first corrected in Microsoft
>Windows  2000 Service Pack 4.
>For this reason we upgraded to W2000 now. :-(
>
>NetWorker LGTpa 36367 said that Microsoft has a hotfix for it.
>Microsoft article Q319313 said that the version of Dlttape.sys must be the
>version 5.0.2195.5509 or later. In Service Pack 4 we have a later version
>of it.
>
>We tried also drivers from Quantum from version 1.5 to 2.2. with same
>result.
>
>I know, that this problem was diskussed here before , but I cannot find an
>answer with solution for this problem.
>
>Does anybody know the solution for it now?

Do these events correspond with actual cleaning requests from the drives?
i.e. does the cleaning light come on? If so, then Windows and NetWorker are
behaving correctly. If this is the case, you may be suffereing from a
problem with firmware 101 that requests cleaning too often. 106 fixed this,
but I believe 107 is now the recommended version.