Networker

Re: [Networker] Faster Cloning. By saveset or volume?

2003-09-29 13:16:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Faster Cloning. By saveset or volume?
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT MEDEC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:15:20 -0400
So if I have a list of SSIDs I can gain some performance improvement if
I first parse the list and seperate it into 2 lists; 1 complete savesets
and 1 spanning?

This implies a case I may have now ...alist of savesets where:

saveset 0001 = tape A, complete
saveset 0002 = tape A, header
saveset 0003 = tape A, complete
saveset 0002b = tape B, tail, rest of 0002

..and the clone may have to mount tape A again to read saveset 0003 after
reading 2 tapes for saveset 0002??

Robert Maiello
Thomson Healthcare

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:09:15 -0500, Ed Skolnik <eskolnik AT INTERPUBLIC DOT
COM> wrote:

>George,
>I quote Legato PSE
>
>" He said that, from a performance perspective, it's best to make sure that
the fragments (head, middle section or tail) are on
>contiguous media files on the volume.  Tape rewind and positioning is
expensive and detrimental for performance and should be
>avoided during the read part of the clone. Needless to say if all the
fragments are contiguous on the same volume (no spanning) the
>search for the segments and clone would be the fastest.   "
>
>What I do is clone complete saveset's 1st by volume (mminfo -omo ) with the
sumflags = c  , then I clone any saveset that spans
>volumes.
>

>mminfo -t${fromdate} -omo -q"$minusq" -r'ssid,sumflags' | tail +2 | \
>   while read ssid sumflag; do
>    sumflag1=$(echo $sumflag | cut -c1)
>     case ${sumflag1} in
>       "c")
>            # The complete saveset is on this volume, so do it 1st
>              echo $ssid >> $tmpssidonly
>              ;;
>        "h")
>            #  Only the header is on this volume
>               echo $ssid >> $tmpssidonly_span
>               ;;
>         *)
>               ;;
>      esac
>   done

maintaining the multi-plexing. Then again, that may be have
>been the difference between running the nsrclone command with a list of
saveset ids (on the command line with -S or via an input
>file as -S -f file) versus iterating over the list one at a time. I think
if you iterate it, the savesets would have to be
>un-multiplexed, but if you don't iterate it one at a time then the
multi-plexing is preserved. If that's true, then it seems to me
>that cloning the entire volume would have to be faster because it would not
have to de-multiplex anything, but if you did it by
>saveset, one at a time, then it would, unless you ran it using an input
file with all the savesets in there.

>So, my question would be: is running nsrclone with an input file that
contains all the savesets tantamount to cloning the whole
>volume in terms of over all time. In other words, which of the following is
>faster:
>
>nsrclone -s server -b pool volname
>nsrclone -s server -b pool -S -f file
>
>where file contains all the saveset ids on the volume.
>
>I mean, both operations should amount to the same thing, but I'm thinking
that cloning the volume using the first command is easier