Networker

[Networker] How to back up indexes to a separate pool?

2003-09-26 19:19:41
Subject: [Networker] How to back up indexes to a separate pool?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:19:35 -0400
Hi,

I'm not sure how to explain what I'd like to do, but I'll try my best.
We have two main pools we use: FUL, ATL. The FUL pool is used for only
full savesets and the ATL pool is used for all incrementals and levels
(5, 4, 3, 2, etc.) except 0. Client indexes go to one of the two pools
depending on the level of the backup.

I'd like to create a new pool (ARC) for some special data so it will be
on its own set of tapes. My plan is to have this data get backed up to
this pool and only this pool regardless of level. The problem with
having this data go to the other pools is that I never want to recycle
it, so it makes it difficult to extricate the data when I want to
recycle tapes in the FUL and ATL pools. I would end up having to cloan
the special data savesets before I could recycle the affected tapes, and
I want to avoid that.

Getting the desired data to go to the new pool, and only the new pool,
should not be too hard since I can set up a group and place only that
group in that pool, but how would I get the index for that client to
write to that pool? The problem is that there is other data on the
client that would be fine to go to the other pools, but I guess there's
no such thing as multiple client index instances? I mean, each client
has one and only one index, so I'm thinking that I can't have the index
for the special data go to the ARC pool and the rest of the index go to
the other pools as usual? I guess not as there's one and only one index
per client. Regardless, if I did want to send that client's index to the
ARC pool, how can I do it? I'm thinking that this may not be possible,
so I might have to manually clone the indexes to a clone pool like
ARC_clone? Isn't it true that client indexes go to whatever server is
listed first in the storage node servers field for the primary server
client?

If I do this, how would I recover them (or merge older versions in:
nsrck -L7 -t date) from this pool and not have NetWorker use the indexes
it had backed up to the other pools?

Any help would be appreciated.

George
George.Sinclair AT noaa DOT gov