Networker

[Networker] Exchange 2000 (Active Directory) Restore ?

2003-09-25 09:33:14
Subject: [Networker] Exchange 2000 (Active Directory) Restore ?
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:44:14 +0200
Hi All,

We (I) have followed the "manual" on how you are supposed to do a Disaster
Recovery of an Exchange box (2000). (Basically rebuild same box onto
existing domain - which we cant do as the current exchange server is still
up and running).

However, we seem to be running either into Active directory "issues" or some
Exchange related problems (now I dont even attempt to pass myself off as an
exchange expert), I need to explore some other options - so im asking the
list:

I need to recover an Exchange 2000 server. I have successfull backups on
tape of server named "Exchange".

I can either put a new server named "Restore" onto our existing AD domain,
add it to Legato as a client and in the "Exchange" server's restore field
and attempt to do a directed recover.

Or, I have a seperate domain (test network) - so the domain and forest is
called exactly the same, put down the server there - name it "Exchange" and
do a restore to it (we tried this as well but ran into AD issues here).

What do I need to keep in mind ?

What will the best way be to accomplish this ?

I am struggling to find any more in-depth info from Legato on this. We need
to be able to do this - perhaps need to restore mail from 6 months ago -
without comprimising the current exchange server.

All help / suggestions are appreciated,

Regards (and hopefully thanks),

Riaan