Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help recovering a piece of a saveset

2003-09-17 16:38:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help recovering a piece of a saveset
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:38:15 +0100
George Sinclair wrote:
This seems like a slick idea, and if it works, this would be exactly
what I'd like to do so as to avoid having to read through the entire
parent saveset (file system) to get what I want, but I've never tried
this before, so let me ask one question. The host in question is
currently unavailable, but there is still an entry for it in the client
listing, and it's index still exists on the primary server. I can use
nwrecover to view this client's data from another client, so I would
assume there should be nothing to preclude me from merging in the old
index with the new even though the client is not available?

You're right, there's no need for the original client to be around.

If for some reason the nsrck command doesn't work or maybe the index
from that day is not around then I could just continue trying different
days until it works, correct?

That's right. Any index backed up after the backup that still contained
the entries for that particular backup would be fine.

Also, does this business of merging in
older indexes in anyway effect the currently browsable index entries?
Just don't want to corrupt of damage the current index.

The current index entires won't be affected. It's a documented procedure
and it works.