Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help recovering a piece of a saveset

2003-09-17 12:13:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help recovering a piece of a saveset
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:13:47 -0400
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:11:07 -0400, George Sinclair
<George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV> wrote:

>The data I need to recover is beyond the browse period so nwrecover is
>no good. I thought that the 'recover' command was just the command line
>version of nwrecover in which case it's likewise useless. We're running
>NetWorker 6.1.1 under Solaris 8 on primary server and NetWorker 6.1.1
>unde Red Hat Linux on storage node server.

recover is the command line version, but it includes the -S option, for
save set recoveries, if that helps.

What are you really trying to achieve? Would you prefer a standard recovery
if only your save set was still browsable? Have you considered repopulating
your index in order to do this?

Remember that in NetWorker 6, nsrck is a very good friend. If you have an
index for the client still on tape and the save set still in the media
database, you can merge this old index into your current index using nsrck -
L7. Say for example your non-browsable backup of client fred was written on
Jan 1st, and you backed up the index at the same time, you could run:
nsrck -L7 -t "Jan 2" fred
and your index for that backup will re-appear.
I'm sure many users forget about this wonderful feature of NetWorker.