Networker

[Networker] Problems with 'error 25' message

2003-09-16 07:35:51
Subject: [Networker] Problems with 'error 25' message
From: Frank Altpeter <f.altpeter AT BROADNET-MEDIASCAPE DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:35:42 +0200
hi there,

After extensive searching google and the list archive, i wasn't able
to find any solution for my problem, so i hope to get wisdom here...

I find a lot of error messages like this in the logs:

NetWorker media: (warning) /dev/nst0 moving: eject: Input/output error
NetWorker Media: (info) failed unloading drive `/dev/nst0' to slot '94', error
'25'

And, mostly shortly after them:

media info: unload retry for jukebox `L700e' failed - will retry again.
media info: unload retry for jukebox `L700e': sleeping 30 seconds

... for about a dozen times the same message... sometimes it takes
about 15 minutes for the jukebox to do what it should.

Sometimes the error 25 messages are enough to have the networker
automatically disable the drive.

I assume it has to do with the several timeout and sleep values of
the jukebox, but i'm still unsure how to interpret and to set them.

My current values (for a STK L700e with 5 LTO Ultrium-1 drives):

Idle device timeout     30
Eject sleep             20
Cleaning delay          300
Unload sleep            20
Load sleep              20
Deposit timeout         15
Withdraw timeout        15
Port polling period     3

These are mostly the default values, but i raised some of them due
to the above mentioned errors.

Any help and/or hints appreciated.

With kind regards,

        Frank Altpeter