Networker

Re: [Networker] How Do I import indexes (clarification)

2003-09-15 12:27:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] How Do I import indexes (clarification)
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:27:29 -0400
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:12:25 -0400, Jon Minson <john.minson AT NAVY DOT MIL>
wrote:

>legato servers are Solaris 2.9
>legato is 6.1.3 or greater
>the 'standby' server will have a different jukebox attached(smaller)
> and probably have a different name and ip (this has yet to be determined)
>
>I guess scanning the tapes to build the media db would work but takes a
long
>time

Well, yes it would, but this should not be necessary. The media database is
relatively small, and you will find that a standard mmrecov takes only a
few minutes, even for larger systems. Once you have the media database
recovered, it is trivial to recover selected indices. All you need to do is
to be a bit paranoid about your bootstrap report, always ensuring that the
latest copy is available. It is useful for the bootstrap notification to be
redirected to a simple script that copies the report to multiple (remote?)
locations, such as multiple filesystems on the server, other servers via
FTP, Samba, NFS etc, email it to somewhere, whatever. You could even
arrange it so that the boostrap save set is cloned to a disk device that is
easily accessible from your standby server, then you won't even need to
physically move tapes.

Your plan could even include "failing it back" so that the original server
can be updated with any changes.

I would be wary about some of the solutions offered so far. Copying the
entire nsr structure will work, but it can only be guaranteed if NetWorker
on the original server is stopped first. It's a bit like backing up a
database whilst it is open. It might work 99% of the time, but it would be
just unlucky that the one time it fails is the time when it is really
needed.