Networker

Re: [Networker] transitioning from AIT-2 to AIT-3

2003-09-11 17:47:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] transitioning from AIT-2 to AIT-3
From: Steve Barber <steveb AT CME.NIST DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:47:18 -0400
On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 05:07:43PM -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:
> Issues involving AIT-3 and AIT-2 compatibility were discussed on this list
> as recently as today. Perhaps you missed those messages. You can find them
> on the archives at http://listmail.temple.edu/archives/networker.html

Stan -

You're correct, I hadn't seen those yet; thanks for pointing them
out.  However they only addressed a portion of my original question.

I guess my real question is in regards to what exactly the
device's Media Type field actually affects.  It appears to only
affect the "Used" field in a volume listing (i.e. the default capacity
of media) and there was a mention of block size, although the docs
weren't specific.

So my question is still: if I upgrade the hardware, delete the old
AIT-2 devices and re-add them with an AIT-3 media type, can I still
(a) read my old AIT-2 tapes (that were labeled under the AIT-2 media
    type setting) in the AIT-3 drives, and
(b) rewrite AIT-2 media on the AIT-3 drives (drive firmware issues
    notwithstanding)?

I am trying to avoid having to leave an AIT-2 device attached to
read the old tapes, create a new pool for the AIT-3 tapes, etc.
We keep (and must be able to access) all backups for at least 1 year,
so the answer has a big effect on how we'll do the upgrade.
Unfortunately I don't have sufficient test hardware available to
experiment.

Hopefully I'm worried about nothing, but you never know.

Thanks,
Steve